Take a moment on your next drive or walk around the neighborhood to really look at the exteriors of the homes in your neighborhood. What stands out to you? While it’s true that a home’s roof can affect the exterior look of a home and arguably provides some of the most important protection for the family living within, perhaps no other element has a more drastic effect on a home than the windows and siding.
Old, outdated windows and siding can drag down the exterior aesthetics of a home. Since siding covers so much of the exterior of your home, any fading, cracking, chipping, warping, or peeling can make a home look ill-kept and dated even if the rest of your property is in good condition. Similarly, old faded windows can negatively affect both the interior and exterior look of a home.
In addition, consider the drastic improvements in energy efficiency made by window and siding manufacturers since the last time you updated your home. Is it time to consider replacing your windows or siding? Read on to discover some benefits of installing new windows and siding before making your decision.
Top Benefits of New Windows
Realtors agree window replacement can yield some of the highest returns of any home improvement when it’s time to sell your home. Even if you plan to stay in your home for the long haul, you can reap the benefits of living in a home with new windows. Consider these top benefits of installing quality new windows:
- Home value. As stated, new windows provide an excellent return on your investment should you decide to list your home within the next few years. In fact, the National Association of Realtors estimates that you could recoup nearly 80% of your costs to install new windows when it’s time to sell.
- Energy efficiency. Long gone are the days of single-pane windows that transfer cold air and moisture into your home, and warm air out. Today’s double-pane and triple-pane replacement windows provide much better insulation against the exterior elements, and the UV blocking capabilities further decrease your heating and cooling bills. In addition, installing more energy-efficient windows can reduce the peak load on your HVAC system, allowing it to run more efficiently or even allowing you to install a smaller system when it’s time to replace.
- Noise reduction. In addition to energy efficiency, better insulation results in decreased noise transfer from the outdoors. This means vehicle traffic, air traffic, and neighborhood sounds won’t seep into your home and keep you up at night or provide distractions during the day.
- Curb appeal and interior aesthetics. Windows are one of the most often-noticed features of any home from the street. Beautiful windows provide visual interest and can help boost your home’s curb appeal. Meanwhile, windows allow you to add natural light and beauty to your home’s interior while eliminating old, warped, blistering wood casements from the aesthetics.
Top Benefits of New Siding
Replacing your siding is one of the easiest ways to make a bold, extensive change to your home’s exterior. Vinyl siding is also a great investment in the value of your home if you’re considering selling within the next few years. Consider these other top benefits of vinyl siding:
- Weather resistance. If your current siding has begun to show its age, likely with cracking, chipping, warping, or dry rot, it is likely decreasing in its ability to protect your interior from the elements. New vinyl siding is designed to withstand winds of 110 miles per hour, with some brands tested up to 200 miles per hour. Additionally, the improvements in moisture resistance and draining over older versions are undeniable.
- Reduced maintenance. While you must periodically sand, paint, and/or replace pieces, entire sections, or the entirety of your wood siding, vinyl siding is nearly zero maintenance. Outside of cleaning the exterior on a yearly basis, vinyl requires almost no work from you. When you consider the amount of work that goes into repainting your home’s exterior, the benefits of vinyl are clear.
- Color and style selection. Vinyl siding is available in a range of widths and styles. Some styles even resemble traditional wood shakes or classic board and batten siding. The color selection is even more extensive, and the true benefit is, you won’t have to deal with cracking, chipping or extensive fading once you arrive at the perfect design elements for your home.
- Durability. Most vinyl siding is guaranteed to last at least 25 years, but some manufacturers guarantee their products for up to 50 years. Once you install your siding and achieve your home’s new look, you can reap the benefits for the next few decades.
The benefits of installing new replacement windows and siding are clear – both aesthetic and practical. The decision to replace your windows and walls can improve your energy bills, increase your home’s resale value and provide you with a beautiful home for years to come.
Able Roof is proud to offer the latest products from Owens Corning to our customers. Over many years, Owens Corning has been a leading provider …
Homeowners who need new roofs have many options available, and Able Roof provides some of the best options on the market. Our RoofGuard system offers …
Many Americans are deeply concerned about the changes in weather seen during the last several years and humanity’s impact on the environment. While there is …