When your insulation goes bad, your entire home may suffer the consequences. If your crawl space or attic insulation is ineffective, it can create problems with indoor air quality, temperature regulation, and heat transfer, all of which can affect your roof. There are a few telltale signs it’s time to replace your old attic insulation in Columbus.
Signs It’s Time to Replace Insulation in Columbus, OH:
- Fluctuating indoor temperatures. If you notice the temperatures inside your home constantly seem to change, it’s often a telltale sign that your crawlspace and/or attic insulation is reaching the end of its life. Often, these temperature changes signify shifted or rotted insulation in the attic, letting ambient air into your home. Sometimes, simply resetting the insulation fixes the problem, but oftentimes it requires replacement.
- Higher energy bills than usual. Have you noticed your gas or electric bills creeping up every year? This usually means that you have inadequate insulation. Your heating and cooling systems might be working around the clock to provide adequate temperatures inside your home.
- Animal infestations. If you’ve noticed the telltale signs of squirrels or bats, check your insulation immediately. These critters can nest in your insulation and deposit feces, which may cause health problems.
- Wet insulation. If your insulation becomes moist or damp, there’s no saving it. It will no longer be able to do its job, and it may encourage the growth of mold. Replace any wet insulation immediately.
- Drafts indoors. Poor insulation can allow drafts to enter your home. If you notice odd breezes even after you shut all the doors and windows, check your crawl space or attic insulation for potential issues.
The Benefits of Good Insulation
Properly installing good-quality insulation can save you money on your energy bills, as this is an easy and cost-effective way to keep warm or cold air from exiting your home. The Environmental Protection Agency reports that adding insulation is one of the best cost-saving projects a homeowner can undertake.
Finding a Columbus Attic Insulation Contractor
Replacing your insulation requires the help of a professional, as it requires the use of specialized equipment and proper ventilation. There are a number of insulation contractors in the Columbus area, but they’re not all equal. Many insulation contractors specialize in one type of thermal insulation (for example, cellulose, spray foam, or fiberglass), though some may be willing to install more than one type.
When hiring an insulation contractor, ask them what the R-value is of the insulation they’re planning to install. This measure refers to the resistance to heat flow. The higher the R-value, the more powerful the insulation. To see the right R-value for your home, check with the U.S. Department of Energy.
Don’t neglect your insulation this year. Be on the lookout for telltale signs of wear and tear, including indoor temperature fluctuations and drafts. Since your indoor air quality may be affected by inadequate insulation, it’s important to replace it as soon as possible. Your home – and your wallet – will thank you! Call Able Roofing today for a free estimate! Get new insulation before the temperatures drop too much. Here at Able Roofing, we do more than just roofing. We do siding, windows, gutters, masonry, and more, so call us for any and all of your exterior repairs.