Leaf gutter guards are promoted as a viable way to prevent gutters from getting clogged with leaves, sticks, and other debris. We all know that cleaning gutters can be a taxing chore, but not everyone believes that leaf gutter guards are truly worth the time, cost, or the exertion required to complete their installation. Before you make the decision to purchase gutter guards, consider the following list of pros and cons to decide if they are the right choice for your home.
Keep in mind that due to the differences between the slope and type of a roof, as well as the environment surrounding a home, the best option for one homeowner may not be the best for another. Some homes have very few or no trees around them, and others have an unusual amount of rainy weather and debris build up, which causes a constant hassle.
- Leaf gutter guards will reduce the need for frequent gutter cleanings, which can drastically reduce the amount of time you spend cleaning your gutters overall.
- As many homeowners know, cleaning gutters is not only an unpleasant task, but it is also a dangerous one. When you spend less time cleaning the gutters, you also substantially decrease the risk that you will be injured from a gutter-cleaning accident such as falling off a ladder.
- Though you will have to clean your gutter guards occasionally, it should be far quicker and easier to clean off the top than to dig into a gutter stuffed to the brim with leaves, dirt, twigs, and dirty water.
- They can be added to any type of already existing gutters, no matter what type of material they are.
- The guards can increase the longevity of your gutters by protecting them from ruinous rusting.
- They prevent birds from building nests and rodents from residing in your gutters.
- Without gutter guards, large leaves, twigs, and other debris can clog a gutter and create an ideal atmosphere for mold to grow.
- A gutter clogged with water can cause major damages to your property. Guards can deter the risk of excess water build up causing gutters to overflow and seep dirty liquid into your home.
- They improve the flow of fresh rainwater harvesting by filtering out excess contaminants and debris.
- Even though they can reduce the amount of time you spend cleaning overall, the reality is that dirt, seeds, sticks, and other debris will end up gathering on the top of the gutter guards, so they will still need to be cleaned on an occasional basis.
- No type of guard can keep debris out of your gutter forever. Even though most types can successfully keep large roof debris such as leaves, sticks, and pinecones from accumulating, many are unable to keep smaller debris such as flower buds, tree needles, dirt and sediment from building up inside a gutter.
- Installing a leaf gutter system can be expensive. Depending on the type, installation prices can range from $700 to thousands of dollars. In some circumstances, these costs can exceed the expenses of many years worth of hiring professional gutter cleaning services.
- The fact is that leaf gutter guards are fragile and can easily become dented when you are cleaning or handling them. For example, leaning a ladder against these guards can dent them, which will reduce their efficiency going forward.
- The added mass of a gutter guard can potentially cause existing gutters to sag in the middle, which may result in permanent damage.
- Small tree seeds can get stuck in the slots of the gutter guard and proceed to grow “gutter trees.” A build-up of seeds can also serve to block the guard’s slots, resulting in an overflow of water and other debris.
- Under some circumstances, it may be best to hire a gutter cleaning service once or annually regardless of whether you have guards or not. If your home is 2 or 3 stories tall, the potential dangers of trying to clean gutter guards that high may outweigh the benefits of cleaning the guards yourself.
- Before purchasing leaf guards you have to get the precise measurements of the length and width of your gutters, which can be a hassle depending on your circumstances.
If you are planning to install a leaf guard system on your gutters in Central Ohio, feel free to contact the Able Roof gutter installation experts to answer any questions or concerns that you may have. Call today for a free estimate!