New home-buyers often focus on the interior of the home and its maintenance. Over time, they gain experience and realize the exterior of the home is equally, if not more, important to maintain. Your home exterior keeps the structure and safety of your home intact. It is important to regularly check aspects of the exterior and make repairs whenever they are needed.
On Which Areas Should You Focus?
We often avoid regular maintenance on our homes and end up having to repair or replace a bigger problem. Doing a walk-through every few months allows you to stay on top of any changes to the exterior of your home and to have them repaired when necessary. Here are some key things to consider:
- Exterior painting. Make sure your exterior paint is kept clean; this will help it from peeling or chipping down the road. Touch up any cracks or chips in the paint. Fixing this small issue will help avoid larger problems in the future.
- Check on the gutters. It is easy for leaves and other debris to pile up in your gutters. Your gutters only function properly if they are free of debris, allowing the rainwater to drain away from your home.
- Roof flashing. The flashing on your roof is the material that protects the joints and chimney. Make sure these are sealed properly and not allowing any water to seep in.
- Inspect the roof. Look for damage to your shingles. Shingles that need to be replaced will start to curl up on the sides or claw down, rising in the middle. Cracks in the shingles may be from wind damage and may need to be replaced. Take notice if the granules are still on top of the shingles. This material helps protect the shingles from the sun.
- Maintain the windows. Check for any cracks or peeling paint around the windows, because these damages may allow water to get into the structure of the window and cause it to rot.
- Check on your flowerbeds. The location of flowerbeds is not something we typically think about affecting our homes exterior. Try to keep your plants and shrubs six to eight inches from the exterior of your house. The roots can make their way under your home and cause rot if they are too close.
- Sweep your chimney. If you frequently use your fireplace, there is a chance you have a creosote buildup, which can be a fire hazard. Schedule regular chimney maintenance to ensure the safety of your home.
After you inspect any of these items, you might need a roofing contractor to assist with the repairs. If you suspect there is an issue, Able Roof can provide a free inspection and estimate to let you know if there is any damage and what it will cost to make repairs.
Able Roofing has been working in the community in, and surrounding, Columbus, OH, for 30 years. Over that time, we have grown from a chimney sweeping business into a roofing company that also offers service on gutters, windows, siding, insulation, and masonry. Our business offers materials that meet the highest standards in the industry and give each homeowner personal care.
Here is a list of the quality services provided by Able Roof that can help with the maintenance of your home’s exterior:
- Exterior siding. If you begin to notice the siding of your home is weathering, Able Roof has a solution. You may only need to replace a few pieces of siding, and our design professionals will work to match the color of your existing siding. If all of the siding needs to be replaced, we can offer solutions that will add to the value of your home.
- Roofing. Our experienced professionals will come to your home to analyze the health of your roof. They will make recommendations for your repairs and give you an estimate for the cost of the work.
- Window repair or replacement. Able Roof can repair or replace your windows if the paint on your windows has chipped and you are beginning to notice rot around the window. We will recommend the best options that can help the energy efficiency of your home.
- Masonry repair. If your chimney needs to be swept, repaired, or replaced, Able Roof is the company for you. Chimney work is where our business began and we pride ourselves on offering the best service in the area.
Contact Us Today
If you have questions about the exterior maintenance of your home, give us a call today. You may begin to notice some problem areas and we can have a professional come to address your concerns. We offer free estimates, same-day service and we can have your repairs done on your schedule.