If your home lacks proper attic insulation in Columbus, you might notice a few negative side effects. Inadequate or rotted insulation in your attic or crawl space can create temperature fluctuations, drafts, even issues with your indoor air quality. Inadequate attic insulation can even affect the lifespan of your roof.
When Should I Replace My Insulation?
If you’re overdue for attic or crawlspace insulation, you might notice a few telltale symptoms, including:
- Fluctuations in your indoor temperatures. If it seems as if the temperatures are constantly changing, even when you close all your windows and doors, it might mean your insulation is coming to the end of its life. These temperature changes might mean that your insulation is rotted or misplaced.
- Higher energy bills. If your utility bills have been creeping up with each passing month, it’s usually a sign that you need insulation replacement. Your heating and cooling systems are likely working overtime to maintain a comfortable temperature in your home.
- Wet insulation. A roof leak may lead to wet insulation, and once insulation gets wet, there’s no saving it. It simply won’t work effectively, and it may start to grow mold. Replace wet insulation quickly.
Why You Need Good Insulation
Good home attic insulation will save money on your utility bills and assure comfort and indoor air quality. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency says that good insulation is one of the simplest and most money-saving projects a homeowner can undertake for a healthier, more efficient home.
Attic Insulation Cost in Columbus, OH
As with most home improvement projects, one of the most common questions consumers have is, “How much will it cost?” The answer is, as with so many other projects, “It depends.”
- According to the U.S. Department of Energy, an attic insulation project can cost between $400 and $1,800. Remember, this is an energy-efficient investment and your utility company or a government agency may offer rebates or breaks on your taxes.
- On average, an attic insulation project costs between $1.50 and $3.50 per square foot. This includes the cost of professional installation and any necessary electric work.
DIY home repairs are becoming more popular, but this is one job you should leave to the professionals. Attic insulation requires special equipment and adequate ventilation. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you could compromise your health. An attic insulation contractor in Columbus, OH will help you maximize your home’s efficiency and install a cost-saving project that will save you money for years to come.
Where Can I Find a Contractor?
Some contractors specialize in certain types of insulation (such as fiberglass, cellulose, or spray foam), but others are willing to install more than one type. Ask each contractor about the R-value of the insulation they use (this indicates its power – the higher the R-value, the more effective). To see what R-value is right for your home, check with the U.S. Department of Energy.
Here at Able Roof, we proudly offer cost-saving home attic insulation services to Columbus, OH, and beyond. For more information, contact us for a free estimate!